Hey, what did we even do to deserve such cute little furry babies?
We’re so lucky to have such wonderful companions to make us laugh and teach us how to love. That’s why we should take proper care of them.
Apart from the owners who purchase dog or cat food from markets or online stores for feeding their pet on a daily basis.
There are many pet owners who are still unaware! Human food that may seem completely fine and healthy to you can be life-threatening and poisonous to your precious furry friends. [ I live in such a place where most of the pet foods are unavailable and people mostly feed them homemade food.]
So, Here is a list of them which you must avoid feeding your doggy or kitty:-
1. DAIRY PRODUCTS –
Yes. Cow milk is bad for your furry friends. Most of us have grown up hearing about how cats love milk, well False!
Cats and dogs are lactose intolerant,Adult cats are more than kittens. Their digestive systems are delicate and cannot digest cow milk. It causes severe diarrhea and diarrhea in kittens and puppies may even kill them.
Yogurt and cottage cheese are an exception to this.
2. GARLIC AND ONIONS
Onions and garlics are poisonous for dogs and cats. The toxic plant: Allium. The Allium species include Garlic, Onions, leeks, chives and scallion.
If your pet eats one of these, it may damage their red blood cells resulting in them being unable to carry oxygen and causing hemolytic anemia ( abnormal breakdown of Red Blood Cells.)
Note: Please Do not give chicken pakodas mixed with onions and garlics to dogs and cats.
Chocolate treats are death treats for your dogs and cats. Chocolate and cocoa contain caffeine and a naturally occurring stimulant called theobromine which are toxic to both dogs and cats.
Humans can easily metabolize caffeine but dogs and cats process it much slower, allowing it to build up to toxic levels in their systems.
In large amounts, eating chocolate can cause abnormal heart rhythm, seizures, tremors and death.
4. COFFEE AND TEA
Coffee and Tea again contain caffeine which can be fatal for your furry friends. The ingestion of moderate amounts of coffee grounds, tea bags or 1-2 diet pills can easily cause death in little dogs and cats, Caffeine can also be found in colas and stimulant drinks like red bull.
Chamomile tea is an exception.
5. GRAPES AND RAISINS
Grapes and Raisins can cause acute (sudden) kidney failure and anuria ( failure of kidneys to produce urine) in cats and dogs. It is unknown what the toxic agent is in these fruits. However, in just a day after eating, dogs andd cats will show signs which include vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy.
Keep Grapes and Raisins out of your dog’s and cat’s reach.
6. ALCOHOL AND BEER
Even small amounts of alcohol and beer in dogs and cats can cause life-threatening toxicity. Dogs and cats can even get alcohol toxicity by ingesting fermented foods if they eat enough of them. As in humans, Alcohol causes depression of their central nervous system but just in smaller quantities.
Nuts like almond and walnuts contain large amount of oils and fats and can cause vomiting and diarrhea and even pancreatitis in pets.
8. COOKED FISH OR MEAT WITH BONES
[I once gave my cat an entire fish as a treat , out of excitement my little Doodle ate the whole thing and then I found him choking on the fish bones.. My father is an ENT specialist , so we watched some tutorials on youtube and took the fish bone out as an emergency measure. He had a sore throat for half a day and was fine because we were lucky.]
Btw here’s Doodle :
Note: Y’all may not be that lucky.
While this may sound like a great and natural treat for your pets. This may be life-threatening as your pets may choke on bones(cooked or uncooked) and even can cause grave injury should the bone splinter and become lodged in or puncture your pet’s digestive tract.
Xylitol is used as a sweetener in gums ,candies and baked products. It causes insulin release in most species , which can lead to liver failure.
Do not throw candies at doggos and cats !!
10. POTATO CHIPS
Salty food like chips and salted popcorns can cause excessive dehydration and urination and even sodium ion poisoning in cats and dogs.
If fed in large amounts can cause vomiting, diarrhea , depression, elevated body temperature, seizures and even death.
Image courtesy: The internet.